Monday 12 August 2013

Hakata-Maru Ramen - Haymarket - Sydney, Australia

Hakata-Maru Ramen


After reading a number of blogs and finding out that two new Japanese ramen places have recently opened in the city, I knew I had to try to see what the hype was all about it given my love for ramen.


 
The first ramen place I tried was Hakata-Maru Ramen located within the Market City food court. A very unusual place for a very nice looking Japanese restaurant. As you walk into the food court you can see the nicely decorated frontage with the black signs and nicely lit exterior as you exit the escalators and make a left turn. The staff are dressed in their black uniform with the respective Hakata-Maru logos on it.




The ramen types and ramen set menus have picture boards displayed near the sign and  that instantly grabbed my attention . I was here for the ramen and the ramen ONLY. Three types of ramen are available including white, red and black tonkotsu soup based ramen. For those that haven't had tonkotsu, it's a pork bone broth that has been cooked for a period of time to get that extra flavour and forms a milky white soup.




The 'White Tonkotsu Ramen ($7.80)' is their original flavour and I can't believe how cheap it is. The noodles are thinner than the usual ramen noodles you get at like Menya. It's cooked 'al dente' which makes it firm with a bit of a bite to it. The soup was delicious and not too salty. I like how it was not just warm but hot and they were really generous with their stock where it wasn't just filled half way. This was all topped with pork slices, half an egg, spring onions and black fungus. The egg was superb. The centre yolk was runny and the outside was soft. Mmm.



The 'Red Tonkotsu Ramen ($8.80) is topped with special spicy miso. It's pretty much the white tonkotsu ramen but with the additional spice factor.



Free toppings! Love the 'Spicy Takana'.

I liked both equally and will try the black tonkotsu ramen as soon I feel like eating it again as I had ramen three times in a row for dinner!

For those that are very  hungry, they also offer extra 'Kaedama' which means you can order another serving of noodles for just 1 dollar. Bargain!

The ramen here reminded me so much of what was sold at Ippudo. Similar noodles, stock and toppings. But here it was way cheaper and I found it to be tastier. They also gave half an egg for free! It's sure going to be busy once more people know about it.

On my list and in contention for the best ramen I've tried thus far. I think I've found the perfect bowl of ramen.

Where? 
Shop 3, Level 3,
Market City
9-13 Hay St
Haymarket NSW 2000
Australia

Phone no: 02 9281 6648

Opening Hours
10am - Late

Website
http://www.marketcity.com.au

Hakata-Maru Ramen on Urbanspoon
 

2 comments:

  1. lol i love that there are instructions on how to eat a chicken wing. I'm all for ripping that thing apart and eating the bones clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe didn't know there was such a way of eating a chicken wing!

      Delete